Advice following extractions
- Follow your dentist’s instructions regarding any gauze packs placed in your mouth at the end of your visit.
- Use the spare pack, which your dentist will supply, if bleeding recurs. Apply biting pressure for 20 minutes.
- Take any pain killers that you have been advised by your dentist as required
- DO NOT RINSE on the day of extraction as this can disturb initial healing
- Avoid smoking or exercise on the day of extraction
- Follow a soft diet
- On the day following extraction, rinse the mouth with warm salty water or antiseptic mouthwash as recommended by your dentist.
- You may experience some swelling or discomfort for a few days after the extraction
- Contact the surgery if any pain persists or worsens, if swelling persists or worsens, or if the bleeding persists.
Do not forget to clean your teeth!